Wednesday, November 11, 2009

My Eclectic Hodge Podge

As I have yet to do a sort of introduction, i feel that I need to.  to do so, I am gonna talk about my religion.  I believe that the best term to describe what I am is eclectic Wiccan.

I know that many of the traditionalists look down upon eclecticism, but i find that it works well for me.  I draw my current system of religion from many cultures and and traditions from all across time.

Modern day Wicca is the base for my religion.  I read from Buckland and Cunningham and, though i cringe to admit it, a little of Ravenwolf, as well as several other authors.  I read them to learn the basic idea of what witchcraft and wicca is.  I never followed them strictly, but used them as a springboard for my later ideas.

I draw a good part of my beliefs from the Celts and the druids.  I usually use the Celtic pantheon in workings, and i draw a good portion of my practice from Celtic witchcraft.  My magickal name, Iolair, means eagle in gaelic.  I got it when a friend and I were playing with the druid animal oracle, and the eagle card became my significator.  I have since found out more about Celtic Wicca and i find it much to my liking.  However it was not all encompassing to me.

Animals have always been a huge part of my life.  I want to be a veterinarian, and i have always had some pet of some kind to take care of.  Even here at college, I didn't last very long before buying a fish tank and filling with exotic fish and one rather troublesome crayfish  (RIP Thor).  My love of animals has lead me to both druidism and to native American spirituality.  Animals play a very large part in both religions, and i have found that the channeling of animal energy came quite naturally to me.  It is still a work in progress as i do not know the typical energy of each animal, but i find it being a very important part of my religion.  I often ask for the guidance of one animal spirit or another before performing a ritual.

Overall, i think that individuality is the most important portion of my religion.  I don't adhere to any one tradition or creed.  I follow my own path.    I take tradition and mold it to my own means so that my religion is truly my own.  I watch nature and allow her to guide me.  My religion is my own, and only mine and I will follow it with my lantern held aloft.

No comments:

Post a Comment