Tuesday, March 30, 2010

I am a witch damnit!

Okay so before i get into my ranting... here is more art.

This is a pencil drawing of Cernunnos, my patron God.  I attempted to color it, but it did not turn out too well so I left it in black and white.  I hope that you all enjoy it.  I am quite proud of it, as my human (or satyr in this case) drawing skills are not all that great usually.

Now to my ranting....
     
As I have said in past blogs, I attend a religious university.  The pagan population here is very minimal, and, as I am starting to learn, quite uneducated.  This is starting to annoy me.  I met a girl in theatre who claimed to be a wiccan.  I had a feeling she was one of those people who got into wicca as part of a rebellious stage,  but, being a fairly good person, i kept an open mind.  We started discussing religion backstage the one day, and I was sorely tempted to smack her.

Now, i understand your average person who knew nothing about withchery not knowing the terminology.  In fact i have gotten used to explaining it to friends and acquaintances who don't know any better, and i harbor no ill will towards them.  But, in my opinion, if you are a witch or wiccan, you should know that the term for a practitioner of magick whether male or female is "witch."  This girl looked at me like I was crazy when i described myself as a witch. She told me that I was wrong, and that I am a warlock or wizard.  I hope that you are facepalming at this point, because if you aren't, you shouldn't be reading my blog.  She was adamant that I was wrong, and that she had been a wiccan for three years and she was right.  As i said before, this kind of talk is acceptable from someone who is your average every day person, but from a wiccan who claimed to be practicing for years it is just unacceptable.  I dont know any modern wiccan trad that uses the terms "warlock" or "wizard" to describe their male members.  According to wikipedia, warlock means oath-breaker or deceiver.  I am neither and I resent  being called one by someone who should know better.

It probably wouldnt bother me so much if it was just one person, but i have had several people who claim to be witches who have had this argument with me and I am quite tired of it.

that is all
     

3 comments:

  1. Normally I wouldn't condone violence and this time is no different but yes well she's an idiot! As for whether I had engaged in any palm-in-face I was too shocked to raise my palm to my face... though my jaw dropped does that count?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jaw-dropping is perfectly acceptable! It is reminiscent of the time some 'wiccan' I encountered first lumped the witch trials of the inquisition and Salem together, then said that his personal connection to these witches as a wiccan himself was comparable to the way Jews relate to other Jews who experienced the Holocaust... The history geek inside of me had a little aneurysm at that point and I think I may have facepalmed.

    ANCIENT WICCANS FTW -lol-

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah,this girl pissed me off the the extreme. It was like... do you know anything about witchcraft at all? which clearly she did not. I am so not looking forward to working with her again for this play.

    ReplyDelete